• question-icon

What causes urinary incontinence?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: on going bladder control is out of control and cant stop the flow all day today. It stops itself but I cant stop the flow or even feel it.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably urinary incontinence!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this leaking urine that you have reported. This is suggestive of urinary incontinence. If it just started, it could be caused by an infection. If this has been for a while, then a muscle which controls the opening of the bladder is affected. I will suggest that you start with your primary care doctor. If an infection isn't the cause, you should see a urogynecologist for bladder studies. These evaluations will enable the exact cause to be identified and managed accordingly.

For now, continue with pads, avoid drinking much water and limit the number of outdoors visits unless they are very important or mandatory so as to avoid possible embarrassments.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Chobufo Ditah