What causes urinary incontinence while suffering from SCI?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I am a SCI patient (Spinal Cord Injured) and my body is paralyzed. I am on CIC (Clean Intermittent Catheterization) to empty the urine from bladder. CIC time is in every 4 hours. From last 1.5 months I am having urine leakage. Can you please let me know what is the reason for this and what medicine can be useful in this case?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urine leakage is due to spasm of the Bladder .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you are SCI patient and have been doing CIC to drain your bladder every 4 hours.

The leakage of the urine that you are getting is due to involuntary mild contraction of bladder (bladder spasms ) which commonly occur in neurogenic bladder.

Taking anti muscuranic drug like Tolturadine or Oxybutinine twice daily will resolve the issue .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar