• question-icon

What causes urinary incontinence post a hip replacement surgery?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Had hip replacement 21 days agi..epidural in spine caused urinary incontinence. Still git urgence and frequency tho not as bad. Will this clear up soin?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be mostly due to Cystitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

You have undergone Hip replacement surgery 21 days back and since then facing problem of urgency and frequency for urination .

I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) Were you catheterized during and post operative period for few days ?

The symptoms that you have are due to catheter induced Cystitis and need to get urine culture and sensitivity test done to trace out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotic to which they are sensitive to .

In the mean while start taking antibiotic like Cefixine and Nitrofurantoin along with urinary anti spasmodics like Flavoxate or Oxybutinine twice daily and urine alkalizer like Citralka thrice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotic as per culture report .

It should work for to you to help in resolving the issues.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 5 minutes later
Many thanks for your advice.. ....there was no catheter. My surgery was at 12 noon, and id been NBM for 12 hours. I dont have the pain associated with cystitis either. I will follow up your advice re utine testing. Thankyou .
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get the urine culture done and take appropriate antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .
Get the culture done and take medications suggested .
It should work for you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist