Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes urinary incontinence after a surgery for mbiguous genitalia?

Question
I was born with an ambiguous genitalia due congenital adrenal hyperlasia. I have a had corrective surgery at the age of 12. Since I've had the surgery which was cliteromelagy and labiaplasty and vaginoplasty I have not the best bladder control and have leakage at times and must use the bathroom as soon as possible. Is this a cause of the surgery?
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it could be related to surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Please feel free and comfortable talking to me about anything.

Now coming to your query, your symptoms although not common are quite possible with such a surgical procedure. So I would say that although we cannot blame your surgeon for such a complication, it can at times be avoided with precautions.

Let me also list some of the most commonly reported complications seen with a labia- and vaginopasty after surgery, they are:

-Fistula formation
-Infections
-Pneumonia
-Necrosis
-Vaginal collapse requiring removal and reconstruction
-Permanent bowel problems
-Permanent urinary problems (eg. incontinence, painful urination, bad/uncontrolled stream of urine, etc.)
-Inorgasmic
-Stenosis
-Poor lubrication
-Hypersenstivity
and a few others ma'am.

So in my opinion, this could be related to surgery. Although, after reading most of the above complications, I feel this is a less severe one ma'am.

I hope you find my response bot helpful and informative. I wish you nothing but good luck and wishes. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: What causes urinary incontinence after a surgery for mbiguous genitalia? 5 hours later
There are times where it's better than others. It also depends what I drink that makes it worse. My urologist told me that from the surgery my urethra is shorter than most females and don't have the muscle surrounding the urethra and that's why I have poor bladder control. I had a few tests done. Defiantly drinking water is the best to drink as oppose to caffiene. Though the I older I get I know it will get worse. Will it? And with pregnancy? I don't leak that often as I use to but I know I must you the bathroom right away. I'm desperate right away to go at times. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gets worse with age and during pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Yes, drinking fluids that are natural diuretics (that cause an increased urge to pass urine and quicker) can result in a sensation to pass urine earlier, even in healthy individuals. But it is good in a way as water is the healthiest option out there.

Incontinence is sadly a problem that gets worse with age, as the control over the bladder gets worse with age. I would recommend trying a few pelvic exercises like Kegel's. These exercises help strengthen the pelvic floor and could possibly help you with better control. Please note that this is a shot in the dark, but I would still want you to try as you lose nothing by doing so.

Pregnancy is a condition in which women lose control over many bodily functions. My perfectly healthy cousin used adult diapers for almost 2 months in her last trimester. So expecting to lose control over your bladder during pregnancy is something that is considered normal ma'am.

I hope my response helps in comforting you and providing you with information you were seeking. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes ma'am.

Follow-up: What causes urinary incontinence after a surgery for mbiguous genitalia? 11 hours later
Thanks for your help and your time

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It was my pleasure entirely

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You are most welcome. Please feel free to write to me about anything anytime. I am always available to help.

Wishing you nothing but the best.

God bless.