Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes urinary frequency and urgency?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Suddenly around noon, I had the urge to urinate....not much came out , but, it has occurred about every twenty minutes since then
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You seem to have Acute Retention of Urine due to Enlarged Prostate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the fact that you have posted severe urge to pass urine with no urine passing out is most likely to be due to Acute Retention of urine due to Enlarged Prostate.

You need to visit Emergency Room to assess the situation and if bladder is full get catheterized to empty the bladder which should be followed by a consultation with qualified Urologist and get the following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis .
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.

Further modality of treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes urinary frequency and urgency? 25 minutes later
There is urine coming out...about every twenty minutes. Have been seeing a urologist reguarly since I had a history of kidney stones....so, discharge happens about every 29 minutes with an uncontrollable discharge. do you have any suggestions as to how I might deal with this until I can make an appointment

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take following treatment for time being

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Take following medications
1)tab Ciprofloxacin and Nirofurantoin twice daily
2) Tab Tomsulosin once daily at night
3) Tab Dutasteride once daily at night .
4) Hot fomentation over lower abdomen .

Try to fix up appointment with your Urologist at earliest possible time .If there is no improvement you will need to visit ER .

Thanks and Regard
Dr.Patil.