What causes urgent urination in elderly?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: hi,

my father of age 71 yrs, is offlate observing that while there is urge for urinating, some times the control over it is lost and it starts before the will to urinate. How can this be diagnosed and cured, please advise.
the recent sugar test done are been advised to be normal and within the prescribed limits.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult qualified Urologist .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your 71 years old father has urgency for urination .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Does he have other urinary symptoms like frequency for urination ,poor steam,nocturnal frequency for urination suggestive of Enlarged Prostate which is common at this age .

The urgency for urination is due to what is called as Over Active Bladder (OAB) syndrome and at this age is always associated with obstructive voiding symptoms due to bladder outlet obstruction secondary to enlarged prostate .

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis with post void urine residue .
3) Serum PSA.
4) Uroflowmetry.

Start him anti muscuranic drug like Darifenacin along with Tomsulosin once daily.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar