Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes urge to urinate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I am 60 yrs and diabetic for 16 years... My sugar fastening and PP is quite under control. My Hb1c (average sugar for last 3 months) is 7 mg. My clinical test like Urea, Uric acid is normal. I am facing a problem of urgency in urination for the last 8 months. I have consulted my urologist who recommended Solitrol Capsules 6 months ago, which i took for 2 months and found relief only for 15 days...There after again the same problem started...On 13th of XXXXXXX Urologist advised to get Ultrasound..I have gone for ultrasound but incidentally a mass of 2 cm was detected on the lower pole of my right kidney, which i have also consulted to your website, where i have been advised to undergo for partial nephrectomy. Accordingly i have acted upon the advise and undergone the surgery on 20th of XXXXXXX in Gangaram Hospital XXXXXXX ..Now, doctor told me that such type of detection have no concern with your urine...I am feeling quite recovered with in a period of 1 month..But my problem for feeling urgency in urination is still existing. Doctor recommended a capsule of TAMFLU 0.4 mg twice a day from 20th of XXXXXXX which i am still taking but no relief is felt. As and when my body remains under movement for walking, moving outside, my problem illuminates at the time but it just starts as I move for rest either in day time or night. Nothing else only a feeling of urgency in urinating. I have got done my CT, Ultrasound, Angiography. Report of CT being sent to you for advice of my urinary problem. Now, accordingly i want to request for investigation of my problem and its remedy...
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urgency is mostly due to fibros Prostate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts and report of your ultrasound scanning posted it appears that you have urgency for urination which is mostly due to Fibrous Prostate.and Bladder Neck Obstruction.

Significant Residual volume of urine (71 ml) strongly suggests bladder outlet obstruction .

Please consult your urologist for endoscopic evaluation and to explore the efficacy of endoscopic incision of bladder neck (BNI).

I personally think it will help to improve your symptom.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes urge to urinate? 3 hours later
Hello! doctor.i am thankful for your kind advice with regard to my question. I would further request you to inform me that if after endoscopy the problem diagnosed by you be found correct then can it be recovered through medicine or it requires surgery. In case, if surgery is required can it be done through laser operation or otherwise eagerly waiting for your advice...

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be done endoscopically

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.

It is(BNI) a very minor procedure and can be done at the same time when endoscopic evaluation is done.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes urge to urinate? 48 minutes later
thanks for your reply....Since i am under observation after getting partial nephrectomy upto 20th of August. Yours suggestions will be implemented after 20th august..Till then kindly recommend any appropriate medicine for getting relief in urgency in urinating..Thanks

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take Darifenacin

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Sorry for delay in replying Delay was due to technical failure in wifi tower.

You can take Tab Darifenacin ince daily.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes urge to urinate? 23 hours later
hello doctor! thanku so much for your reply....i want to know the quantity of medicine i.e(how much mg) per day and for how much days..

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take 7.5 mg tablet once daily.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up Take 7.5mg once daily as long as you plan for surgery.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.