What causes urge to urinate post alcohol consumption?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Spent two nights in last vegas drinking and not really sleeping. Been home for four days now rehydrating and exercising. Starting yesterday afternoon I have had a Constant urge to urinate for over 24 hours. No pain while going but constant and lots of clear urine coming out.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lots of urine because of rehydration!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this huge volumes of urine and the constant urge to go and urinate. There is no reason to be too concerned about this. The constant urge to go and urinate is as a result of increased fluids. The body would eliminate as much water as you drink in a day to maintain the balance. If you drink much, there would be increased urine production and need to urinate often. Because of the huge urine volumes, the urine is less concentrated and tends to be clear.

In all, this is normal given increased fluid consumption. Please, excess alcohol consumption is bad for health. Always moderate your consumption and keep it to low levels.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 minutes later
Thank you for your response. How long does it stick around? Should I be concerned about anything else?

What else could cause it? Sex? Stress? Anxiety?

You wouldn't think STD or anything?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All related to the increased fluid intake!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up.

As long as your are drinking more than usual because of the conscious efforts to rehydrate, the urine out put would be increased and you would need to go often than usual and the volumes would be increased. Unless something else comes up later, there is no need to suspect an infection at this time.

Did you have any unprotected sexual encounters?
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 13 minutes later
No on the encounters. Married, just was curious on anything. I have no pain, no discharge, but was thinking and looking at everything. Just a bit cramping and urge to urinate. Almost like a UTI or something.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you have pain during urination.....Get urine analaysis!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up.

I have reviewed your information fully again. If you have pain while urinating, then I Will recommend testing for a possible urinary tract infection. However, urinary tract infections often present with frequent and painful urination in small quantities and not large clear volumes.

Best approach, monitor again and if new symptoms set in, let me know for further review and recommendation. It is unlikely that you have an infection at this time. If you are very much worried, a urine test would clarify us on this.

I wish you well and let me know what your thoughts are.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 minutes later
Last question, should I continue to drink more water? I drink a lot of it.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drink as much as you need!

Detailed Answer:

As long as your kidneys are functioning normally, no amount of water is toxic. however, you may want to use your thirst as guide to how much water you need.

My response is that you drink as much as you wish, It never hurts.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
How do I know my kidneys are functioning normally or not? How long does this typically last? The constant urination.

Thanks you for your help.

Sorry to pester. Married with four children and never had this happen before so pardon my paranoia.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urinating much is a good enough sign already!

Detailed Answer:

When kidneys fail to function well, you would have low urination production and swelling of the lower extremities. absence of this is suggestive of normally functioning kidneys. I understand your fears, be relaxed and monitor for now. Unless something else comes up, there is no reason to get worried.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ivo Ditah