What causes urge to defecate and urinate along with disturbed sleep?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I consulted a psychiatrist with the following symptoms.

Everyday in the morning I need to go to the wash room 4/5 times to pass stool. Whenever I go out I feel tensed and I get a surge of pressure to go to the wash room. Many times I have come back from the parking lot / bus stoppage. This has been happening since last one year and it is intensifying. Same case happens with urination as well. I also have trouble sleeping.

The Dr has suggested the following medication.

Escitalopram ( 5mg ) and ANtidep ( Imipramine 25 mg ) for 1 month.

I wanted to know how safe it is to take the above two drugs together.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are largely safe

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for using healthcaremagic and considering it your health partner.

First regarding the symptoms I feel the urge to defecate or urinate in stressful situations is largely indicative of anxiety symptoms.

Regarding the treatment choice I feel the treatment choice of your psychiatrist is quite rational and there is nothing to point finger. Regarding safety issue the same thing is applicable as the dose used and treatment choice are largely harmless. You may find a long list of side effects with escitalopram and imipramine over the internet but practically speaking there is very low chance of any significant chance with currently used dose.

There is one more thing I feel relevant in your case. The medicine chosen for your anxiety symptom are also helpful in premature ejaculation and I hope this will be one extra point for you considering the premature issue.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.