What causes urethral itching post hernia repair?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: I had a hernia repair and my urethra is itchin what can I dtink or take to help the itch
?

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 minute later
Drink lots of water. You can also take cranberry juice. If it doesn't come down just make sure it isn't infection that is causing the irritation and itching. In that case you might need antibiotics for treatment. Consult a doctor if it doesn't come down.
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 0 minute later
I am on hydra cadone for pain in hernia repair area
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly read ahead

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for following up with me.
Hydrocodone is opioid drug which relives pain.
But it won't cause any itching as you are experiencing.
As I mentioned before you can drink lots of water and cranberry juice.
Also take a tablet of allegra 120mg or levocetrizine 10mg whichever you get from pharmacy. Both of these meds can help to reduce the itch to some extent.
Or as I mentioned before it could be urinary tract infection for which urinary examination and course of antibiotics will be required for treatment.
I hope this answer satisfies your query.
If you still have any questions feel free to ask.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina