What causes urethral bleeding post C-section?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I just had a baby by c-section 7 weeks ago. I am currently having urethral bleeding that I believe may have began after birth and after the catheter was removed. I thought I was still having lochia until that stopped & I realized this was coming from the urethra. Sometimes it is bright red and mucousy, other times it is just pink. My bladder and low back also feels crampy but no major pain. I saw my OB on Monday & she put me on Macrobid to treat as possible UTI since it is safe while breastfeeding but I am still having the bleeding. She also ran a culture which didn't grow anything and showed a small amount of blood in urine.

While pregnant I had an ultrasound which showed gallstones, a small kidney cyst and a possible kidney stone. Less than a month before I gave birth I had blood in urine and passed a kidney stone. I am also on Lovenox for a PE during 1st trimester.

My OB mentioned that it could be a kidney stone breaking up and roughing up the bladder. Also, strange, but since 2nd trimester, every time I lay on my right side I get sand/sediment in my urine. My INR was checked yesterday and a CBC with everything was normal. I do not have a fever and no real pain, lots of urine output and I'm drinking lots of water. At times I feel like there is something picky in my urethra but not always and I do urinate red or pink tissue at times. What does this sound like?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of more stones in kidney needs to be ruled out .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have hematuria since you have undergone C section ,

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Have you done your ultrasound Scanning of abdomen very recently?

In view of you having stone in kidney which was detected during pregnancy and which you passed out before delivery the hematuria that you have could be due to few more stone or stones in kidney and needs to be ruled out .

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy)

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.