What causes upper stomach pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Hello, my soon to be daughter-in-law just called me and said she has been having upper stomach pain off and on for the last 2-3 days, sometimes 7-8 in the pain range, other times 1-2...and it feels like it went into her ribs earlier today...she has no other symptoms but did tell me she has had kidney problems in the past, doesn't know what type...could this be a stomach flu? There is flu around town right now. Thank you.
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM
Yes, it looks like stomach flu and I don't see reason to be worried. She should have easier diet, take antacid medication such as ranitidin or pantoprazole and take nonsteroid painkillers. she should avoid coffee, alcohol and fats. If pain migrate to the right side then it may be gallbladder stone and in this case she should do ultrasound. Otherwise, she should rest and follow above mentioned instructions. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask any questions. regards

Follow-up: What causes upper stomach pain? 21 minutes later
Thank you so much for getting back to me right away.

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
You re welcome.