What causes upper stomach pain and heart pain during pregnancy?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi My name is XXXXXXX and I am 26 weeks pregnant. The pregnancy has been really good so far until now. The last 2 days I have had upper stomach pain and really bad heartburn. I can still eat but just feel very bloated. What could it be?? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's due to Gastroesophageal reflux Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. First I would like to congratulate you for the uneventful pregnancy so far. The cause of your stomach pain and heartburn is due to Gastroesophageal reflux which is quite common in 2nd trimester which.occurs because of growing fetus pressing on the stomach. Eating small frequent meals, avoiding spicy food /oily/fried/carbonated beverages will help. If the symptoms persists a short use of antacid like Ranitidine for couple of day will help. I hope it helped In case you have any other query kindly get back to me Wishing you a happy and safe motherhood Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T