What causes upper left quadrant pain with flatulence and gas?

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What causes pain in the upper left quadrant with accompanied burping and gas?
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More information please...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will be answering at your questions.

At the upper left quadrant there is our colon (large intestine) and the spleen. The symptoms that you have,correlate with a problem with your colon but it would be great if you could provide more information.

For how long do you have these symptoms. Do you have lose stools? Do you have nausea? Are your stools normal in color,do you see if there is blood or anything different in your stools? Fever? How many times in a week do you have a bowel movement?

Awaiting....

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Endri Katro 24 hours later
No fever. It started about 5 days ago. Normal stools twice a day. No occult blood or any abnormalities noted.
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
Thank you for providing more of your medical information.
Since you don't have bowel movement changes and no fever than your symptoms may be related with:
- acute gastritis
- GERD
- IBS
If I were your treating docor I would suggest as follows:
- eat often and small amount of meal
- avoid beans broccoli and soft drinks
- take plenty of water
- use PPI 's like prilosec OTC
- use antispasmodic drugs like butiscopolamine
If your symptoms doesn't improve after a couple of days than you need to do :
- upper endoscopy
- colonoscopy
- abdominal ultrasound
Hope it was helpful to you!
Dr.Endri Katro