• question-icon

What causes upper left chest pain while breathing?

Posted on Tue, 24 Jan 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I'm having some upper left chest pain when I breathe. Lots of mucous and lots of coughing. Could it be pleurisy?
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, and other possibilities.

Detailed Answer:
Good day, I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms! It sounds like you may have an upper respiratory infection and or possible pneumonia. The chest pain you describe is very possibly from the strain caused in using muscles to cough, is there no pain on the other side. Pleurisy is definitely a possibility as well. Ultimately you are going to want a check of with a doctor who can perform a physical and determine if you need an X-ray and or antibiotics. I suggest rest, hydration and a visit with your primary care physician. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rajaram KG

Orthopaedic Surgeon