What causes upper left abdominal pain when diagnosed with diabetes?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Q. I had a one-time light pain today in my upper left abdomen that felt like a quick, rather light, pin pric pain.
I have newly diagnosed diabetes 2. Any thoughts?

Also, I felt this pain a few times in the recent past. I have a habit of siting in an easy chair with my iPad being pulled down on my belly. I am just worried about the pancreas since now having DMII.

Excuse me. I have to leave my desk for a few minutes.

I am back.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is not pancreatitis! Monitor only for now!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this pain and the newly diagnosed DMI. Your symptoms are not in the least suggestive of pancreatitis. Pain related to the pancreas is severe and recurs often. This being a recent observation, I will recommend that you monitor only for now. If this persists, then we will do a comprehensive testing to see if you have a possible pancreatitis related pain. Pancreatitis is not any more common among persons with diabetes than those without and thus do not be alarmed because of this recent diagnosis.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 minutes later
I worked in a VA hospital and as a clinical social worker I saw many pancreatitis cases and they all suffered severe pain. I was not worried about pancreatitis but pancreatic cancer. My pains are very subtle and I believe diabetes has been shown to have a link with pancreatic cancer. Do you know if I should get a endoscopic ultrasound or could I get a CT for further work up of these subtle pans on my left side upper - mid abdomen? XXXX

Ok. We will leave it at this point.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need no further testing at this point!

Detailed Answer:

There is no need for further testing. The typical and worrisome signs of abdominal pain, jaundice and weight loss which is characteristic of pancreatic cancer is simply absent.

I wish you well.