What causes upper back pain?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: i have upper back pain. i feel pain in my upperback night and day. it feels like my upper back between my shoulder blades would tear open. whats wrong with me
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there is possibility of cervical disc leading to

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have studied your case.
There is probably cervical disc compression leading to inter shoulder nerve compression.
MRI cervical spine will help in diagnosis.
Another possibility of muscle sprain.
You can start muscle relaxant consulting your doctor.
Physiotherapy plays important role in treatment ,ultrasound and Tens may give you instant relief.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 20 minutes later
Do you think I shoulkd do a MRI
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

If pain remains persistent even after medication then you should do MRI.