Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

What causes upper back and shoulder pain?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6486 Questions
Hello. I am having neck, shoulder/neck/back (upper right) sore and pain for years, and right arm to fingers numbness 24*7 starting few weeks ago, went to chiro advice might be soft tissue then i went to neurologist perform multiple test seeing no trouble and they referred me to MRI for cervical spine without contract ound result as
unremarkable appearance of cervical spine.
T2 heterogeneous hyper intense right thyroid nodule
so if this related to my upper shoulder/back pain and numbness?
also which doc i should go to see for those treatment what are the treatments will be

thank You
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should consult endocrinologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through the reports in detail.
As MRI cervical spine report is fine,it excludes any nerve involvement in cervical region which generally causes such symptoms.

Symptoms must be due to some other reasons.You mentioned about multiple tests but didn't write details.

Your symptoms may be due to some other problems like vitamin B12 and calcium deficiency.Thyroid profile should also be estimated.
Besides this you need routine hemogram,random blood sugar,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,serum calcium and vitamin D estimation.

Exact nature of thyroid nodule can be assessed by FNAC and clinical examination.If thyroid profile indicates hypothyroidism then,it should be corrected.
Lesion in thyroid may cause hypothyroidism.
You should consult endocrinologist.

You should also do back strengthening exercise.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor