What causes upper arm pain and tightness in chest after foot fracture?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I broke #4 & #5 metatarsal bones in my right foot 10 days ago. The last 4 days, I have been experiencing severe upper arm pain and tightness in my chest. Two nights ago I went to the emergency room because I had extreme burning feeling around my heart and in the back of my neck going up to my ears. Also, I have been experiencing joint pain in different unrelated joints. My arm pain was still extreme. They took x-rays of my chest and gave me a stress test and said I was fine and sent me home. I am still suffering with the same symptoms. Last night I began coughing and the extreme pain in my upper arms went down to my fingers. The bones hurt for hours after and my fingers were ice cold for about an hour. Today, I am still having the feeling of pressure on my heart and my arms are still hurting all the way down to my fingers. I have been taking ibuprofen every 6 hours without getting much relief. I do not like hospitals or going to the doctor but my husband thinks I should go to another hospital. I am generally very healthy and active so this is new to me and I don't know what to do. I don't want to all of a sudden have a heart attack or stroke. Have you heard of anything with these symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to hcm

Detailed Answer:
You have nonspecific signs which could be related to anxiety,but considering some symptoms and the fact that you had foot fracture,i think that some serious things should ruled out and by this i mean thromboembolic incidents. So you should do lung angiography and check d-dimers if you ask me,and repeat ecg and troponins. Try to contract your legs muscles as much as possible,but rest,try not to take more than 2 ibuprofens daily. But as i said,you should visit doctor for these tests.wish you good health
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 18 hours later
Should I then go to another hospital to have these tests o should I go to a doctor. If to a doctor, what type of doctor?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
You should see internal medicine specialist and these tests can be done at any hospital. but first,doctor at emergency room should evaluate your condition.
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 days later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.If you have any questions i am here for you