• question-icon

What causes upper abdominal pain with constipation followed by diarrhea?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: been having stomach and digestive issues for about a year and a half now. sometimes pain, sometimes not. my central upper abdomen hurts if you push on it. cramps and gas. Constipation and diarrhea. sometimes in one sit. loose stool but it can be hard to get out sometimes. penicl thin stool at times. pellet stool other times. feel like I haven't emptied my bowels. anal Itching and pain at times. I'm having a colonoscopy and EGD done soon. is cancer a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chances for this to be a cancer are very slim, though possibkle at this age

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Considering your age and symptoms, this is very unlikely to be a cancer. Again , if you do not have a family history of cancer of colon or digestive tract cancers, the likelihood again decreases.

Doing a stool culture and checking for Irritable bowel syndrome are my suggestions.

I however agree with the proposed tests for they shall permit to exclude anything so serious. The chances this should be a cancer, especially if no family history of such cancers are very low.

Thanks and kind regards,

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain