question-icon

What causes upper abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, pain between rib cage and back?

Posted on Mon, 16 May 2016
Question: Hi there

I have had upper abdominal pain for 2 weeks with diarea , nausea , pain is between rib cage rotates to the back between my shoulder blades . I sometimes seem short of breath and sometimes I feel like my heart is fluttering .

Diarea only eases with amoudium , soon has I stop taking them diarea is back .
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Tests for proper diagnosis is very important.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate:Female/32 - 2 weeks of pain in upper abdomen, diarrhea which responds to immodium but comes back on stopping it, nausea, - pain between rib cage - rotates to the back between shoulder blades - sometimes feel shortness of breath and fluttering of heart ...

The most probable causes are:
Gastroenteritis.
Gastritis with GERD

I would advise you the following:
- First of all, send the sample of stool for testing.
- Tests of blood and urine, rule out diabetes and thyroid function tests. Blood culture helps in some cases if you have not received any antibiotics.
- Upper GI endoscopy.
- A course of antibiotics, metronidazole if the reports indicate so.
- Pre and probiotics, activated charcoal tablets, curd (yogurt) if it suits you banana.
-PPI like Omeprazole and antacid liquid.

Further tests of colonoscopy may be needed if advised by your Doctor or Gastroenterologist.
Immodium is used for symptomatic relief, it does not cure.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early diagnosis and hence the proper treatment, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon