What causes unusually light menstruation and sharp left-sided abdominal pain?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I am 40. Have had 2 kids and got pregnant easily. I last had a period 2 months ago and it was light and weird and longer than normal. Have always had a 21-28 day cycle. 2 negative pregnancy tests. Today a sharp pain in left abdomen. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not due to pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
You can be assured that pregnancy isn't a factor here.
You have done pregnancy test and it is negative.
The other reasons of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here as pregnancy is ruled out.
Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly.
The pain in left abdomen can be due to intestinal cause or a urinary infection. An ultrasound scan will help in diagnosis.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN