• question-icon

What causes unusual bitter taste in mouth?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: bitter tongue for last 2 months every morning especially while first gulping after wake up in morning. goes away after drinking water and brushing. but since this is going on for over 2 months I am very much concerned. is it the indication of some lying disease within my body.
attached image of my tongue after wake up.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is the indication of some underlying disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query and uploaded tongue image; and it appears that bitter tongue is most probably due to the some underlying disease such as upper respiratory infection such as cold, sinusitis, strep throat, flu, pharyngitis or chronic suppurative otitis media of the ear.

I would like to suggest that to rule out the cause of bitter tongue; you have to go for
1. CT scan paranasal sinuses to rule out the nose and paransal sinuses disease.
2. Otoscopic examination of the ear to rule out the ear diseases.
3. Laryngoscopy to rule out the pharyngitis, tonsillitis or gastroesophageal reflux disease.

You will have to discuss these steps with your treating doctor.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 18 minutes later
Sir. .I have chronic mastoiditis and chronic otitis media in right ear. can it be related to tongue
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it can be related to bitter tongue.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up question and understand your concern.

For your kind information clinical evidence of the vulnerability of the chorda tympani nerve in patients with chronic disorders of the middle ear may be responsible for bitter tongue.

Sometimes sinus disease and chronic otitis media both present simultaneously in the same patient may be responsible for bitter tongue.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX

thanks doctor. .last question. .I have also griting pain in right eye with burning sensation but no redness. is there any possibility of link of it also with ear infection
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rare possibilty to link eye pain with the ear infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

For your kind information it is a rare possibility, only in the advance chronic suppurative otitis media i.e. unsafe ear to link the eye pain with the ear infection but to rule it out, you have to go for CT scan temporal bone.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist