What causes unpleasant smell and taste?
Several possible causes, further examinations needed.
Hello and thanks for using HCM.
I have read your query and understand your concerns.
Taste and smell disorders could be related to several conditions that range from nutritional deficiencies, viral infections, side effects of drugs, nasal cavity masses to endocrine disorders and neurological conditions such Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis etc.
Taste disorders mainly are a derivative of smell disorders, so, the first thing that needs to be evaluated is the smell condition and its possible causes such rhinitis, chronic sinusitis, nasal polyps.
It is necessary to be evaluated by an ENT Doctor and probably imaging studies such CT scan of sinuses and, if in doubt after the medical evaluation, MRI of brain to evaluate any neurological disorder.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Is it strange that it is only some foods that taste bad?
Further medical evaluation is indispensable.
Taste buds dysfunction also can be related to only certain foods that taste bad.
As I mentioned before. the primary cause of both taste and smell distortion is related to smell apparatus dysfunction.
Getting evaluated further is necessary to name the correct cause of your concerns.
Wishing you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes od no taste no smell
- What causes hypersensitivity to smell
- What causes mothball smell
- What causes decrease in sensation of taste and smell
- Did xray cause no taste no smell
- What causes loss in sense of smell and taste
- What causes a peroxide taste
- What causes loss in taste and smell with low libido
- What are the causes for having unpleasant odour
- What causes loss in taste