What causes unpleasant odor emanating from the mouth?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What is the cause of an unpleasant odor which only I can smell and seems to come up from my stomach. I have been diagnosed with GERD(sp?) but I have an adjustable bed and it seems to be better but the odor comes and goes. It was worse when I was taking fish oil/krill pills twice a day, now the odor only occurs sometimes and I cannot find the source of it.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
GERD is the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Odor is coming from the GERD and fish oil krill pills recently may be playing a role. So no worries. Bad odor and breath are like sisters to GERD almost always present. Adjustable beds alone are not enough.

Apart from GERD, maintenance of good oral hygiene, prevention of tooth cavities, caries, regular brushing and flossing post meal is necessary. Toothpastes specially the ones with cetylpyridinium chloride helps the bad breath very much. Also garlic water mouth rinses work like charm. Talk to an oral hygienist and periodontist for further management.

Regarding GERD continue diet and lifestyle modifications like losing weight, avoiding spices, preferring eating small frequent meals and reducing sweets and chocolates. Avoiding tomatoes, spices and sour foods , processed and canned products and preferring natural foods. Delaying lying down for at least 2 to 3 hours after the meal.

Avoid tobacco, avoid dry mouth, alcohol etc. Chew a gum, or a candy to stimulate saliva. talk to to your oral hygienist and let them help you in this regard.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan