Owl Image

What causes unnecessary fears in a child?

Owl Image
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Question
Yes
I have a 2 1/2 y old grandson
About 2 months ago I got him one of those dinosaurs in a egg toy ....we watched it and two days later this little toy Dino hatched
After placing it in water....so when it was starting to hatch....he became scared!
And when the baby toy Dino hatched he was crying and so scared!
Now it’s been about two months ago
And every time I talk to him....he is still talking about it....wants to know where it is
We tell him it’s all gone....he’s not to sure about that??? I feel really bad...is this normal?
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give him a story that can make sense to him

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I have gone through the story and it appears normal to me. Let me remark that although we treat children like imbeciles, the fact is that they are not. At 2.5 years, the child is cognitively developing and is trying to put the pieces of the story together. Just telling him that it has disappeared, does not make sense. You need to give him a story that can make sense to him.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What causes unnecessary fears in a child? 13 hours later
Well I’m Not 100 percent .....he didn’t tell me how long will this go on.....like I told him it’s been 2 1/2 months ago

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on how well you can reassure him

Detailed Answer:
The entire thing depends on how well you can reassure you and how early things seem to make sense (logically) to him. Otherwise he can just talk about it just like we talk about things we have seen. No cause of apprehension in this.