• question-icon

What causes uniocular lower eyelid swelling?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello doc,

I am a male aged 24. I work in a software company and currently in night shift. For the past two days my right eye has become reddish along with the inner part of the lower lid. It is a bit inflammatory but not unbearable. Yesterday a yellow puss type of thing came from the side where we get tears but today it stopped. I used moisol drops, When I sleep in the woke up in the evening this eye got sticky and not easily openable. I didn't feel this type with my before. Is this a typical case of conjectivitis. Is moisol good to use in this case.? Attached is the pic of my eye. Please suggest any medicine or treatment
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
uni-ocular lower lid inflammation. Can be chalazion or foreign body.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through the image uploaded. Must be having less time to sleep. problem is uni-ocular it can be foreign body Chalazion mebomian cyst discharge has been obstructed and stagnation causes swelling,mild pain. Moisol is lubricant and it is not required.Minor surgical procedure of incision and scooping of content is required.It can also be foreign body in lower eyelid.Right eye there is inflammatory condition.Due to inflammatory discharge there is sticking of eye lid. Neosporin eye ointment can be applied in right conjuctival sac.You can apply 0.3% ofloxacin eye drop 6 hourly.Eye can be cleaned with sterile gauze dipped in sterile water.In picture it appears to be inflammation of conjunctiva. Cornea is not involved and it is purulent discharge so bacterial. Get examined by an eye doctor to exclude foreign body and since it is uni-ocular it can be calazion or foreign body.You can take tablet combiflam twice daily after food.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist