What causes unilateral weakness in the leg after recovering from encephalopathy?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Can you have weakness in one leg after recovering from encephalopathy?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can have weakness.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

It might be useful if you provided some more detail about what you mean by encephalopathy. That term is simply a latin word meaning disease, damage of the brain. So it could mean any neurological condition there is. Perhaps if you could upload some medical report might help.

To answer your question, whether a brain damage, an encephalopathy can cause weakness of the leg....yes, it certainly can. As the brain is the commanding center for the limbs, brain damage may cause weakness of one or more limbs, it is one of its most common symptoms and long term consequences.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 11 hours later
I am responding to my answer. I had toxic metabolic encephalopathy from a reaction from gabapentin and requip and also was told I have chronic hypercapnic respiratory failure. I had a sleep study done and am on a cpap allnight.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional information. Whether a toxic metabolic encephalopathy can leave a residual deficit like leg weakness depends again depend on whether there was a residual damage to the brain. Toxic encephalopathies may be completely reversible in many cases, but at times they can cause a permanent lesion, a brain area may be permanently damaged and cause the weakness. That is why I mentioned reports in order to see what type of brain imaging was done, at what stage and whether it evidenced a brain lesion. If you do not have such reports at your disposal then you should discuss their content with your doctor who should have a copy.

Let me know if I can further assist you.