• question-icon

What causes unilateral pain in the shoulder and hip?

Posted on Fri, 20 Jan 2017 in General Health
Question: I have a lot of pain in my right shoulder and right hip, going on 3 weeks
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This calls for a visit to your doctor.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to Health Care magic, I am Dr , Muhammad Ahmad , I have read your question closely, I understand your concern and will be helping you with your health related problem.

This can be Osteoarthritis, which is due to deterioration of joints specially the weight bearing joints due to age related wear and tear. This can be symptomatically treated with pain killers like Advil or high end pain killers like Opioids but still one has to get a proper diagnosis , severity of the disease has to be determined and then treatment in addition to pain killers is advised by the doctor to manage the back ground problem.

I would suggest you to visit your orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible, it has been three weeks since the problem and pain killer alone, doesn't see to be the answer.

You doctor might run some tests like RA factor serum calcium phosphate vitamin D levels, X-ray or MRI if needed and then according to diagnosis and disease severity , medication is advised.

Usually we give:
1) A pain killer.
2) Anti inflammatory drug.
3) Vitamin D supplement.
4) Calcium supplement.
5) Physiotherapy.
6) In extreme cases surgery might be the last resort, but that comes real late down the list.

I would suggest you not to panic, start OTC vitamin D and Calcium supplementation and visit your doctor as soon as possible.

I hope this answered your question, If you have more queries I am happy to answer you.
Regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Muhammad Ahmad