• question-icon

What causes unilateral numbness in the leg?

Posted on Tue, 23 May 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have had numbness in my toes, foot, and leg on the right side only for about a month. Five days ago, I also developed numbness and weakness in my left hand, fingers, and forearm. I am able to walk on my foot, but when I run, my foot is so numb and heavy, I am worried about falling. I have also noticed that the affected fingers, toes, and foot are really cold. I also have had pain in the inside of my knee for about three weeks. When I visited my rural family practice doctor last week, he thought the knee pain was due to pes ancerine bursitis. He thought the numbness was unrelated. He checked my Vitamin B12. The blood test showed it was on the low side of normal at 311 on a scale of 211-946. He prescribed 1000mcg of B12. I have started taking B12 in a sublingual form. How long will it take for the numbness to subside? Is it okay to begin exercising again? Do you think I should be concerned about anything else (like MS)? I live in the Pacific Northwest and my cousin has MS. I am alarmed by the numbness. Would you recommend further testing?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Numbness in different limbs may be due to multiple mononeuropathy.
In view of family history of multiple sclerosis, examination and investigation may be required under a neurologist.
You should get a nerve conduction testing.
Any history of diabetes, hypopigmented skin patch,
joint disease or any other medical disease?
You should visit to a neurologist for detailed examination and investigation.
Only vitamin B 12 deficiency will not be the reason.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 36 minutes later
Thank you for your response, Dr. XXXXXXX I will make an appointment with my regular family practice doctor to see if he will give me a referral to a neurologist.

I am assuming this will take some time. I have Kaiser insurance, so it is an HMO.

Is it okay to start exercising as I am able?

I do not have diabetes, a skin patch, joint disease, or any other medical condition. I saw my regular family practice doctor in January and I had no concerns or conditions.

Thank you! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated as advised

Detailed Answer:
You can do regular exercise.
Get investigated as advised.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist