• question-icon

What causes unilateral numbness in the hand and face with difficulty in speaking?

Posted on Mon, 8 May 2017 in General Health
Question: first the right hand went numb then some of her face and then had trouble speaking. most symptoms were gone within 10-15 minutes no more numbness and having a little trouble with getting some thought to words and now has a headache having a little trouble reading. has happened before twice around 6 and 8 years ago current age 35
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Transient ischemic attack

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns. unfourtanetly thiscould be a transient ischemic attack. transient ischemic attack is usually a warning sign that you possibly could have a full stroke in the future .
To identify the cause of the transient ischemic attack , you will need to run some tests including carotid ultrasound , ECG, ct scan angiography on the brain and echocardiogram ..
until you do these tests you are adviced to take aspirin of low dose ( baby aspirin ) 75-81 mg daily.
I hope I answered your question . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman