What causes unilateral numbness in the face and lips, tinnitus and black spots in the field vision?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 9 Aug 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi. I've recently been diagnosed with tinnitus. I'm currently fighting migraines off and on over a month now where my lips and left side of my face goes numb. The tinnitus is only in my left ear. I'm also seeing black spots constantly in my left eye. It's becoming almost unbearable and in my area, seeing a specialist takes a long time to get into. I'm not getting any answers as to what is going on besides a migraine. Im fatigued all the time and I've lost 20 lbs over the last month. I'm 27 and never even used to get headaches. The medication I was given for tinnitus doesn't work and I'm an active parent to 2 young children, so this is greatly affecting my day-to-day life. Do you have any insight as to what to do or what could be wrong with me?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be multiple sclerosis

Detailed Answer:

Your tinnitus, portions going numb, black spots in the visual field - all point to a possible demyelinating disease like multiple sclerosis. Under normal circumstances, the nerves are insulated with a material called myelin sheath and when de-myelination occurs, the functioning of those nerves falters leading to problems like the ones you have described. Since the body takes care of the issue, the problem gets relieved sometimes but newer ones crop up.

You, therefore, need to visit a neurologist and get a thorough evaluation done. Treatment will be essential for this underlying cause and mere treatment of the symptoms like tinnitus will not resolve the problem.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj