• question-icon

What causes unilateral numbness in the body after a stroke?

Posted on Thu, 1 Jun 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My 10 year old grandson, was addmitted into the hospital for a possible stroke, after test mri, showed lesion of his brain, after 5 days on bed rest in icu, he was discharged with a 3 month follow up, blood pressure was good ,vessel test were good,What we can not get answers why they are not doing any treatment, His mother has had a pt evaluration, weakness, doing pt 2 times a week he even had a spinal tab, today for about 45 seconds his left side became numb, called the dr, they think it is residual from previous lesion on his right side, My question is what should we do!!! Who or were do we go for a second opinion, right now we are sitting here doing nothing, helpless, any advice!!!!

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is necessary first to provide the MRI results or the discharge papers from the hospital in order to understand better your grandson's condition and further treatment possibilities. You can simply post them here or attach/upload them to the reports section of this web page...

Numbness on the left side may be partial sensory seizures, so, this issue needs to be addressed further and if confirmed treatment is necessary.

If the lesion found in your grandson's brain was an arteriovenous malformation it's treatment depends on the grading and if there was any hemorrhage or not.

Physical therapy is reserved in cases of any paralysis of limbs or body parts.

Awaiting this information so that I can guide you specifically into this......

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 22 hours later
Hello. This is XXXX's mother. My mother, his grandmother, reached out to Web MD and I am thankful as we are struggling to find comfort in what occurred to my son. He recently turned 10. On April 15th my son had a baseball tournament and was dizzy, blurred vision, stomach pain, etc. I immediately took him to doctor and they diagnosed him with heat exhaustion due to low sodium levels, however I questioned that because they did not take his blood and he was not dehydrated. My son was symptom free for the next 4 days. On April 20th my son was lethargic and complained his left side was numb, but it lasted 30min. April 21st my son came home from school at 10am because he was dizzy, blurred vision, and numb. we were unable to get into our pediatricians office and took him to pediatric walk in clinic, they had no answers. He slept for 3 hours and symptoms subsided. Saturday morning he felt fine, but I took him to our pediatricians office. Once we were there his symptoms started and when the doctor evaluated him he was unable to touch his finger to nose and doctors finger, unable to tandem walk, etc. The pediatrician sent us to ER and there he was ok until the nurse was moving us to his room. At that point he lost gross motor ability and speech. Only lasted 30seconds. An MRI was ordered and it showed 2 lesions on his brain. Bilateral lesions in his Thalamus. The lesion on the right side showed it had occurred previous to the lesion on his left side which coincided with his symptoms. Initially they thought stroke. He was moved into ICU on bed rest, stroke protocol, and we were there for 4 days. The contrast Cat Scan was clear, The contrast MRI was clear. EKG was abnormal, but Echocardiogram was fine. (this included bubble stress test) They had an EEG for 36 hours with video and audio, all fine. Blood work was drawn 14 times, all ok. An LP was done on Tuesday, all reports are fine. Brain tumor, MS, Epilepsy, Seizures, Autoimmune enchiplitis, have all been ruled out. They were going to discharge us form ICU because my son was symptom free all 4 days. I requested A PT, OT, and Speech evaluation. He has qualifies for PT and Speech cognition. We returned home and my son was wired. very strange behavior, followed by exhaustion. He has remained symptom free until yesterday when his left side went numb for 45sec. However, he then told us that it happened on Saturday. We have no definitive answers and his discharge papers read "acute but ill defined cerebrovascular disease" There are no plans in place except for a daily baby aspirin and a follow up Contrast MRI in July. My son demonstrates deficits in balance, strength, and cognitively. With no answers, we do not know what is "normal" for his brain injury and what to expect or if we are doing what is right for healing. Besides the baby aspirin we have no preventative measures. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably impaired blood supply on that area.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for the detailed information.

Bilateral lesions in thalamus may be caused by several conditions such toxic and metabolic phenomena, infection, acute demyelination, ischemic, and neoplastic.

Regarding imaging tests results, lumbar puncture and blood tests results, most likely these thalamic lesions were caused by impaired blood supply to that area.

Since these tests didn't show any specific diagnosis, I agree with the follow-up plan with MRI after three months.

Baby aspirin use may prevent any recurrence in case of thrombotic events.

It is okay also to continue physical therapy and speech cognition since your son demonstrates balance, cognition and strength issues.

In addition, I think is necessary to monitor regularly your son's blood pressure on a daily basis (three times a day for example).

If significant changes (i.e. differences of approximately 20 mmHg0 Cardiologist's reevaluation is necessary.

Hope I helped you.

Wishing good health for your son.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 18 hours later
Thank you for your kind regards for my grandson,and well wishes, unfortunately his illness has cased him to be admitted back in the hospital last night. Now a team of neurologist are testing for metabolic diseases and genetic disorders, just has you mentioned in your follow up. Again thank you for your follow up, it gave us closer knowing that we may be heading in the correct direction now. If needed I would use this web site again

Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Sorry to hear about readmission of your grandson's.

Hope there will be a definite diagnosis after that treatment is much easier.

In the future, you can ask me directly at tinyurl.com/DrSpahoAnswers

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical