What causes unilateral hearing loss in a child?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,
I need some advice here. My daughter is 9. She has been having trouble with her hearing in just her left ear. Blurred vision in her left eye, also. This started two months ago. I've been monitoring the situation. she has had no other symptoms accompanying these or pain. She's had no accidents or anything either. She does wear glasses, I had her at the eye doctor today and her left eye is weak according to the doctor. As for her ear, I'm at a loss. Her pediatrician keeps checking her ears and always says the same thing. "No fluid, no wax, crystal clear she had a hearing test and they said she only heard the loudest beeps. The machine was not working when they tried the air test. She keeps complaining it's getting worse. I was considering on jumping right to an ear nose and throat doctor. Shes also on Medicaid. What should I do next?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hearing loss with refractory error

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare magic and thanks for putting up the query
Unilateral hearing loss in children in case of no ear discharge or ear ache is usually sensory neural in nature. Please send me your audiometry report so that I can suggest you better.
The unilateral refractory error is probably not related to ear problem. You should consult a ophthalmologist for that. My advise is you should also consult a neurologist and get her examined.

Follow up with the reports.

Any further questions are always welcome
Thanksand regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng