What causes unexplained weight loss, loss of appetite and referred pain?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 31 Jan 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: So I've asked about this before and I hate to ask about it more (I’m seeing my gastro doc about it soon). I’ve had right upper quadrant pain for some months now, and it is enhanced when I sit down. However, I noticed after eating a very greasy burger and fries (as a sort of test) and sure enough, this pain flared up immensely.
I should mention that I no longer have my gallbladder and my fear of this is it being something cancerous or deadly. My GI doc says that it isn’t cancer but he’s only run labs specific to the pancreas, which he noted a low Amylase count.

Would pain like this, that increases when eating heavy fatty foods, sitting, and is relieved my applying pressure be indicative of something cancerous, or is it maybe just a minor pancreatic or kidney issue?
Im trying not to worry but this has been ongoing for a while.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am considering more than one reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
The pain in upper abdomen which increases on sitting and enhances on heavy fatty food and relieved by applying pressure is not at all indicative of any type of cancer - and particularly when the problem is going on for some months without any other signs like unexplained weight loss, loss of appetite, referred pain or so.
Please give some additional information for me to assist you further:
- Where exactly is the pain? You may please mention whether on the lowest rib or below it. You may also post a photograph with marker on the spot/area of pain?
- Does it pain if you put up pressure on it with pointed finger - (yet as you have mentioned) relieved by applying pressure may be with flat of palm?
- Does the pain increase every time you consume fatty foods?
- What is the type of pain? Burning/dull/ twisting ....
- Any investigations like Ultrasound, CT scan, and upper GI Endoscopy?
- Liver function tests particularly Alkaline phosphatase and GGT?
- The immense pain occurred immediately after taking fatty food or say after half or an hour after consuming?
- Any referred pain to the back or so?

Please give details as the detailed history sometimes helps for a proper diagnosis or at least leads to the further investigations and proper management.