What causes unexplained loss of weight?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: Last year I started loosing weight. I am 69, female I am on oxygen. I do not cough. I do not wheeze. I do not gasp for breathe. I breath fine. My oxygen level just goes done. Dr. Says I have asthma. I do not trust him. I am still loosing weight. I do not have much of an appetite. Thing do not taste as good since I stopped smoking in 2015. I went on oxygen in later that year. My chest x-rays are good. Go and heart Dr. Say my chest sounds good. Heart is good. Blood work is good. Except I have a vitamin d deficiency. I am taking 10,000iu of vitamin d a day per Dr.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. You require further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.

I have gone through the details and I understand your concern. So, first of all asthma can sometimes occur in old age. Moreover as you were a smoker in past, there may be some element of chronic obstructive airway disease causing breathlessness. This can be further diagnoses on a pulmonary function test. Besides that, in some patient of arthritis or fibromyalgia, interstitial lung disease may develop which can cause breathlessness and low oxygen saturation.

Weight loss if it is more than 10 percent of body weight in last 6 months is a cause of concern and requires evaluation for thyroid disorder, diabetes and occult malignancies. You can discuss these issues with your doctor.

Hope you understand.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj