What causes unequal sizes of pupils with reaction to light and dark?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: For last several years ive had a difference in pupil size. They bith react to light and darkness by getting smaller and bigger. One just seems to be always a little but bigger. I saw online it could be an anureysm? I had my gp take a look at my eyes and she said she didnt see any signs of anything wrong

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Specialized medical examination is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is true that unequal pupils size (anisocoria) may be a sign of different diseases including eye, brain, blood vessel, or nerve disease, especially if this develops latter in adult life.

So, even if there are no other symptoms, a medical evaluation is necessary to exclude these conditions ( aneurysm, oculomotor nerve damage, Horner's syndrome, glaucoma etc.)

In my opinion, an Ophthalmologist examination and imaging studies ( brain MRI ) are necessary to understand better your condition.

If above mentioned conditions are excluded after these examinations, you don't have to worry, it remains a characteristic of yours.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T