• question-icon

What causes uncontrollable tremors in the legs, arms and torso?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My 83 year old mother has occasional uncontrollable shaking in her legs and torso and arms on occasion. She cannot walk or stand up during these tremor spells. Doctors have offered no answers. Any ideas? Is there a specialist we should take her to?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get a neurological opinion

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your mother could be suffering from Parkinson's disease and you should take her to a neurologist to get her evaluated. Deficiency of Vitamin B12 could also be involved and I would insist on giving her methylcobalamine (Vitamin B12) 1500 mcg supplement per day for at least a couple of weeks. This could help in improving the situation.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 37 hours later
Thank you for your quick reply. We will follow up with neurologist and B12 as you suggested.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service.

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to write back if ever need any further guidance. I would be there to assist you.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha