What causes uncomfortable sensations in the throat and feeling food stuck in the throat?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi,

I have had a feeling like a stitch under my ribs, I also feel like I have burnt my tongue and I get a sensation like I have swallowed food without chewing properly even when I haven't eaten. Initially I also had very bad trapped wind. Please could you advise?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to GERD...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for writing in.

The symptoms that you are describing seem to be due to a GERD (Gastro-esophagial reflux disease). This is a condition where there is excess acid secretion in the stomach and due to a weak valve, the acid refluxes up to the food pipe. This can cause uncomfortable sensations in the throat as though food is stuck in the throat or food pipe. It can also cause pain or discomfort below the ribs (the epigastric region).

The medication Lansoprazole that your doctor has given you is to reduce the excess acid secretion. In addition to this you can also take antacid syrups thrice a day to soothen your food pipe and stomach along with prokinetic drug. Your treating doctor will know about it. Drink plenty of water and cold milk. Avoid spicy, fried or oily foods as these can worsen your symptoms. Try to include more of fruits and veggies in your diet. Eat on time and try to have moderate quantity for every meal (avoid eating heavy meals as this will increase the reflux).

So, there's nothing serious to worry. If you follow the above suggestions regularly, your symptoms will come down within a few days.

Best wishes,
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 12 hours later
Apologies if this repeats an earlier message, I wasn't sure whether it sent. Is it usual for the condition to occur 'out of the blue'? I rarely suffer from indigestion (maybe 5 occurrences in my life) and this came on with no warning to a severe level. It does not have the burning sensation that I would associate with previous bouts of indigestion. The discomfort is much higher up, around my collarbone and across the back of my shoulders. It also eases if I lie down which, again, is not like my previous experiences. Could this be an infection of some sort as the lansoprazole seems to be having very little affect?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Throat infection/pharyngitis is also a possibilty

Detailed Answer:

It is possible that the reflux can occur 'out of the blue', precipitated by a number of factors like certain types of foods, stress, etc. However, it is not typical to have pain / discomfort so higher up or across the back of the shoulders. In such a case, the other possibility to be considered could be a throat infection or a 'pharyngitis'. In adition to my previous suggestions, you can also try saline gargles - as this would help in case there is an infection. You could wait and observe how things go over the next couple of days. In case, your symptoms persist or worsen, then you would need to have a physical examination in order to pinpoint what the exact cause of your symptoms are.

Best wishes,