What causes uncomfortable feeling on right side of ribs?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have an uncomfortable feeling on my right side......just under my ribs and also into my right back..it feels like something is poking me..not pain but uncomfortable. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kidney / colon / muscles

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
As per the history you have provided- uncomfortable feeling of something poking below the right ribs and back, the probable diagnosis is :
Swollen kidney
Right sided colitis
Local muscle spasm

This can be confirmed by a Clinical examination and simple ultrasonography.
I would like to know few more details.
Does the feeling increase on movement or deep breathing or just touching / pressing on the muscles?
Do you have any urinary or bowel symptoms ? if no such symptoms it can be a muscular problem.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 23 minutes later
It does not change with activity....just feels like being pregnant on one side really. Hurts to bend over to tie a shoe or to sit of not sitting up straight. Not painful but something is not right
No urinary or bowel issues
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your feedback.

This is most probable just a muscle spasm, as per your history.

Consider taking muscle relaxants, hot formentation over the area and apply analgesic sprays containing diclofenac.

Hope you should be fine in few days.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 22 minutes later
Thank you. This has been happening since January and has become worse over time. Could a muscle strain do this?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
repetitive stress injury.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, the muscle strain can do this and happens die to a condition called RSI - repetitive stress injury. As the name suggests, the stress is repeated before the healing occurs. As the muscles in this area are on a continuous movement due to its location RSI takes over.