What causes umbilical hernia prior to laparoscopic cholecystectomy?
Many patients get lap cholecystectomy and umbilical hernia surgery together
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. The umbilical hernia might have been small in the beginning and that is the reason it was not picked up till your surgeon did a careful clinical examination.
2. Umbilical hernias are routinely diagnosed on ultrasound and CT scan and the symptoms are that the patient comes with a prominent umbilicus during coughing or applying pressure during passing stool.
3. Umbilical hernia with laproscopic cholecystectomy have been dealt together in many patients and medical research has been done on the topic. There is a research on 64 patients who had laproscopic cholecystectomy and umbilicar hernia repair surgery done at the same time. Please find detailed information below
(i) In one study, 64 out of 745 that is 8.6 percent patients scheduled for laproscopic cholecystectomy also underwent umbilical hernia repair surgery at the same time.
(ii) Laproscopic cholecystectomy surgery was followed by umbilical hernia repair using any one of the standard techniques including
a. using primary suture in 50 percent patients,
b. Mayo repair and in 28.1 percent patients
c. flat mesh-based repair (usually for hernias more than 4 cm) in 21.9 percent patients
4. Using the above techniques, recurrence rate was
(i) 9.4 percent when using primary suture
(ii) 5.6 percent when using Mayo repair technique
(iii) nil recurrence with mesh repair.
5. Therefore it is seen that mesh repair has the best outcomes with nil recurrence rate in the research quoted above.
6. There is no significant extra risk in doing laproscopic cholecystectomy and umbilical hernia surgery together. There was no threat to life in any of the patients who underwent the above procedure described above.
Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Umbilical hernia surgery causes
- What are the symptoms of umbilical hernia?
- Small umbillical hernia causes
- Laparoscopic umbilical hernia recovery
- Can umbilical hernia cause diarrhea
- Umbilical hernia causes
- Supra umbilical hernia causes
- Umbilical hernia causing penile pain
- Umbilical hernia caused by car accident
- Irreducible umbilical hernia causes