• question-icon

What causes two small growths at the bottom left of the vaginal opening?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: About three weeks ago, at the tail end of a two-week cold or virus, I noticed two small growths at the bottom left of my vaginal opening. You have to open the labia and pull the skin down to see them.

They are thin, finger like and rounded at the top. They are not connected at the base. Same color as my skin. They do not itch and cause no pain. Had I not been feeling around down there, I wouldn't have known they were there.

Since I am sexually active, I just assumed an STD so started researching. However, these look nothing like and genial way picture I've seen online and I looked at hundreds of them.

I decided to look and feel around more down there. There is another growth of same shake and size a little further inside, behind a fold, but to the bottom-right of the opening. As far as I can tell, it's just those three down there.

In the mean time. I did more research while waiting for my Dr appt. I came across pictures and info about vestibular papillae. The shape and size seem to match my growths but my growths are not symmetrical and there are so few.

Of course I hope it's the non-STD, but if rather prepare for the worst. Also, I looked in my throat and noticed a white blister or something right near where my tongue connects to the back of my mouth. This could or could not be related, but, if I have HPV on my genitals, it would make sense that I would also have anal and throat infection because I engage in all of those sexual activities.

Can you provide any key distinctions between HPV and vestibular papillae that might help me prorate for the worst of test a little easier until my appointment in a couple weeks?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
?? More likely to be associated with a Bartholin's cyst in my opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I would like to start by requesting you to attach clear images of the affected region to our discussion here (if you are comfortable doing that of course), or email them to me at:

YYYY@YYYY

and please mention "ATTN: Dr. Shoaib Khan", so it can easily be directed to me.

Before going into any other condition, I would like to say that your presentation does match that of a Bartholin's cyst which is the development of a cyst in the Bartholin's gland, which is located on either side of the vaginal opening and due to an obstruction of the opening of these glands, a fluid build up results causing the development of a cyst in the region.

This is a fairly harmless condition, which in most cases does not require any medical intervention at all. 2 simple steps suffice:

+Warm compress to the region several times a day
+Warm water sitz bathes using epsom salt in the bath, at least 2-3 times a day
+Also, avoid shaving the region or any other form of hair removal for at least 2 weeks
+Also avoid sexual contact and masturbation which can aggravate or worsen the cyst

HPV on the other hand is almost always suspected or diagnosed by the presentation of warts in the genital region, which is not even close to what you seem to have, so in my opinion HPV can quite clearly be ruled out.

Sorry for such a lengthy response, and please do write back to me if you have any specific questions that I have not addressed in my response here ma'am. I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please also do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later
pictures aren't great, but I hope you can see.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Location resembles that of a Bartholin's cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Thank you for the effort.

The lighting in the pictures and clarity isn't great, but one thing that is clear is the location, which resembles that of a Bartholin's cyst. Please go about the 4 suggestions I have mentioned in my previous response, and if at all you do experience an improvement in about 5-7 days time, then write back to me. And if you do not, then may be you might require drainage which any surgeon can go about as a day-care procedure.

But either way, there is nothing to worry about as it doesn't seem harmful in anyway to me ma'am. I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to write to me anytime, and about anything, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan