• question-icon

What causes twitching sensation in the upper eyelid?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi i am a 29 year old male

About 7 weeks ago i started getting a twitch on the upper right eyelid, this continued for 3 weeks it also was happening on the lower left eyelid which went away however upper right continues. I also suffer from general anxiety disorder ocd. I went to gp because i was stressing it could be benign essential blepharospasm. He prescribed diazepam for a few weeks to get off slowly. This helped and made the upper right eye twitch go away, however the twitch has now returned in the upper left eyelid and bottom right eye also can feel it in my eyebrows. However upper right has not returned. They arnt as bad but i can certainly feel them. My question is do you think it is benign essential blepharospasm or is this normal. My mind is constantly on the twitches and i cant seem to make them go away. What is your opinion. I also have irritaed eyes, not sure if this is due to our winter weather or something associated. Please get back to me as i am pretty stressed out.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is not Blepharospasm.Don't worry about it.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being here again.

As we have previously discussed,I would like to enforce the same thing again here, that this does not appear to be essential blepharospasm. The reasons being-
1)Your age is not typical for the same.
2)It has stopped in one eye and then came in other eye.Intermittent complete sustained remission is not in favour of blepharospasm.
3)You are stressing out a lot and that's probably precipitating your benign fasciculations.

So, stop worrying about it and it should improve.Live a relaxed life.

Hope that helps.If you have further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 45 hours later
Thanks for the response.

I have been reading online and said that it may be als. This has me really worried i read that als could start with eye twich is this true or would ibhave experienced weakness by now. What are your thoughts and your experience would als start like this or not?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can't be ALS for sure.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Of course, fasciculations are common feature of ALS, however, not as in your case.Weakness and atrophy are other common features of ALS.Clinically, the type of fasciculations in your case, which remain restricted to muscles around eye, are not usual in ALS.

If you have any further questions, I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 13 hours later
Hi thank you again for the respose

Lastly id like to ask a few more questions

Last october i experienced burning around my thighs arms and back, which was constant, but went away after 3 weeks, i had an mri done but was XXXXXXX doctor said it was also due to anxiety, has also came back a little bit now. Could i be experiencing MS. I also felt it about a few months ago but lasted a few days and went away.
It also has only come back for a few days and gone away.

Also after an extremely hot shower i get really itchy all over body but only itches for about ten minutes then dissapears. Could this be due to the weather here it is winter and my showers have become warmer than usual.

Could these symptoms be due to MS.

Also if not what would be typical of ms

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
No.These are not typical of MS.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

No, the symptoms which you mentioned are not typical of MS.MS usually presents with definite relapsing remitting focal neurological deficits like weakness, loss of vision.Of course, sensory symptoms can be observed, but the ones you have appear to be subjective, especially in presence of a normal MRI.

Hope that helps.If you have further doubts,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Thanks again
because i had a burning sensation throughout my thighs arms and back a few months ago and again this week, Do you also think it is anxiety related. It came a few days ago dissapeared and came back again after an alcaholic drink. Alcahol seemed to have triggered it. Is this a sign of ms or no. I have been abit stress free however the feeling came while i was stressed out.

Thank
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
No.Its not how the MS behaves.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks of being in follow-up.

This appears to be anxiety indeed.MS usually presents in different regions at different times, with more objective findings.This is not like the one.Only burning sensation with a normal MRI rules out MS.Further, Alcohol intake may precipitate such symptoms,so you should give it up.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist