What causes twitching sensation in the tongue while suffering from viral infection?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I️ started out with canker sores and cold sores. Now my tongue is twitching on one side

Why has that started the doctor I️ saw said I️ had a viral infection. Concerned about my tongue
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Taking juicy fruits like citrus fruits can help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The twitching of the tongue could have developed due to an electrolyte imbalance. Such a condition can be precipitated by a viral infection. Deficiency of certain minerals like calcium and potassium can lead to such a condition. I would insist you to take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the tongue muscles and in reduction of the twitches. You also need to increase total fluid (water) intake and to take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to ensure a fluid electrolyte imbalance.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 14 hours later
How long will the tongue twitch last? I️ had 3-5 canker sores in my mouth. Will that make an impact
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should respond in a couple of days

Detailed Answer:
If I am correct and if it is due to electrolyte imbalance, it should subside in a day or two. It can also be a good idea to get the electrolyte levels checked. If it does not respond soon, we would need to consider a different pathology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D