What causes twitching on sides of the head and jaw pain?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Twitching on sides of head and jaw pain. Neck sometime hurt. Pain so bad sometimes teeth will hurt. Ear also hurt. Twitching or spasming (don't know the difference) thoughout body.

Recently had sinus infection what the doctor said but finished the antibiotic amoxicillian a week a go.

When twitching on side of head started, jaw pain came and twitching in jaw come snd sometimes teeth throb.

Had a twitch on my neck that scared me.

Went to er 3 times. 2 times discharges as normal which I'm not. Don't have insurance,
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Non specific complaints not consistent with single clinical diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
From what I understand the twitching on side of the head, neck and face along with inconsistent tooth pain and neck pain. These symptoms may be related to facial nerve, dental infection, sinusitis per se or a post infection sequalae. Without an opportunity to physically examine and conduct laboratory investigations I will not be able to arrive at a definitive cause. Therefore I would order blood counts, radiographs like OPG and X-ray PNS and metabolic work up before planning the next steps of treatment.

Since I read you are not covered under insurance, you can wait for few days say a week more. In the meanwhile you can start yourself on ibuprofen 200mg twice a day for couple of days along with vitamin b12 supplements. Watch for worsening pain, jaw swelling, fever and any other new symptoms - those should prompt you to visit a doctor for reevaluation.

I hope my answer will help you, take care.
If any queries are there reply me back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad