What causes twitching in left upper eyelid?

Posted on Wed, 6 Jan 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My Left upper eye lid has been twitching for 2 weeks. I am 72,retired DDS. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eye twitching could be because of eye irritation or watching TV/PC.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

i have read your query and understand the concern.

Eye lid twitching is mostly associated with eye irritation or eye dryness.

Twitching of the eye is caused by spasmodic contractions of orbicularis oculi muscle.

The muscle is supplied by facial nerve and the causes for facial nerve irritation leading to twitching of the eyes are reflex stimulation as in irritating eye conditions like,

1) dry eyes,
2) exposure of eyes to wind,
3) excessive use of computers or watching television (seems to be in your case)
4) presence of dust on conjunctiva or cornea,
5) infections and inflammations of structures of eyes....

The non ocular causes leading to irritation of facial nerve are,

1) lack of sleep,
2) ENT causes.

Hence I will advice you to use artificial tears eye drops (like 'Refresh tears' eye drops) for eye irritation.

If there is associated redness and discharge from the eyes you also require antibiotic eye drops (like ciprofloxacin or moxifloxacin eye drops) for 2 to 3 times daily instillation.

Along with the above mentioned eye drops you need to follow the following methods for relief from symptoms.

1) Wash the eyes with normal water twice a day.
2) Apply cold compression over closed eye lids.
3) Avoid overuse of computers or television.
4) Adequate sleep and avoid sleepless long working nights.
5) Having a healthy and balanced diet with all the required vitamins.

If still eye twitching persists even after above treatment then you should see nearby eye specialist for further advise.

Hope this detailed information is helpful to you.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Sandip Kabra