What causes twitching in arms and legs while on Vicodin,Valium and Ambien?

Dr. Eris Ranxha

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi..I am looking for a neurologist to answer this question. I was taking vicodin, valium and ambien to get me through a back problem. Last Sunday, I took only vicodin and valium...woke up in middle of the night with very rapid muscle twitching in my right leg and well as my head and face felt like all the nerve were jumping..and it also went into my arms as twitches. This continued...on Wed. I took just 1/2 vicodin for the shotting nerve pains I was having...and that made it so much worse...now I feel like I have constant buzzing, twithincg, etlectric current running through my body from head to toe...and it is also making my head feel full of pressure and giving me headaches. Over the weekend, I decided to take some Ativan I have from vertigo...and gapapentin...did that for 3 nights...the weekend was bearable..I can still feel, however, the currents flowing through my body...it is just that they are muted. Once the Ativan wears off, it all revvs up again and is very painful. I am worried all this constant electric current will burn my nerves out or that I'm having a non-stop seizure of some sort. Can you help?
Answered by Dr. Eris Ranxha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should stop mediacation

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX
I think you are suffering side effects of your treatment
In my opinion you should consult your neurologist, slowly decrease the dosage of vicodin and valium till removing them
I would suggest to permantly take anxiolitics to decrease your level of anxiety
It is reccomended that you schedule an EEG just to exlude epileptic seizures
Hope my answer will help you
Dr Eris Ranxha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Eris Ranxha 11 minutes later
I haven't taken Vicodin since last Wed...and Valium since a week ago...now, though, I took 3 days of Ativan plus Gabapentin...and can function better...but now if I stop the Ativan will I have withdrawal or seizures?
Answered by Dr. Eris Ranxha 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't stop immediately

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Your symptoms don't seems as epileptic seizure (clinically)
In my opinion you should continue taking ativan and gabapentin till you undertake the brain EEG
What are the dosage of gabapentin and ativan you currently taking?
Don't forget gabapentin needs to be stoped by decreasing the dosage slowly
Follow up: Dr. Eris Ranxha 13 hours later
I am still only taking 300 mg of gabapentin and have only been doing it 3 days...ativan between 1..5 - 2mg only at night...again, for only 3 days.
Answered by Dr. Eris Ranxha 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue

Detailed Answer:
Dear
those are small dosage and you will suffer no side effects from them
You should continue them till you realise your brain EEG
Best regards
Dr Eris Ranxha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Eris Ranxha 13 minutes later
the effects I am having I think were from the vicodin and maybe valium..if my nerves keep firing...can they be permanently damaged over time...does the electric current burn them out>
Answered by Dr. Eris Ranxha 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No way

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX
it is impossible to happen what you are afraid of.
You should schedule an EEG just to be sure that you aren't suffering seizures but you have to be sure that nothing can damage permanently your nerves
In my opinion if EEG is normal you should contact your psychologist and start anxiety treatment
Hope I have answered all your questions
Don't hesitate to contact me for further query
Best Regards
Dr Eris Ranxha
Neurologist