What causes twitching and weakness in the arms during pregnancy?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2019 in Pregnancy
Question: I am currently 33 weeks pregnant and for the past few weeks I have been experiencing strange sensations in my upper left arm. Mainly after I use it. Over the last couple of days it is beginning to feel a little weak and after I have used that arm to lift something etc the upper arm starts to twitch. Only for a couple of seconds and only after I have used it. What could be the issue?

Many Thanks

Kate
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Could it be due to calcium deficiency.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
The pain is most likely due to calcium or vitamin d deficiency.

You should take some calcium supplements and drink lots of milk and dairy products. Give ice pack to that area. Because you are pregnant we can not go for x-ray ray.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 47 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. It’s not really pain I am talking about, more weakness after using my arm and the muscle starts to twitch. So this is likely a calcium deficiency?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:

Yes,it could be calcium and vitamin b12 deficiency.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, weakness can also be due to calcium and vitamin b12 deficiency. You should drink water and minerals.

You can go for a simple blood test to see your electrolytes and calcium and vitamin b12.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Richa Agarwal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D