What causes trouble thinking clearly while recovering form sepsis?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: After recovering from sepsis, can trouble with foggy thinking remain for quite sometime, long term and for how long on average. Or will it never really get better
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More detailed description of problem required

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
You have not provided adequate detail about your problems. Sepsis is a general term and it can lead to septicaemia and infection at other sites of body besides original one. Brain infection in the form of meningitis, abscess can lead to impairment in mental function. The recovery depends upon the cause of infection and extent of involvement. Most symptoms recover to near normal in days to months.
Please do get back to me for further clarification with more details.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 9 minutes later
Hello, Dr XXXXXXX I was hospital admitted with acute septicmia. 5 days in the hospital with IV including antibiotics. Probable cause was UTI . So weak at home I fell and couldn't even crawl. Mind so foggy and it has been a month. Possible to last this long?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Condition will improve need to consult a physician or neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Urinary tract infection usually do not lead to brain related problems until infection reaches there. Generalised fatigue after septicaemia may be due to decreased hemoglobin also.
I will advice you to consult a physician or neurologist for these symptoms to be evaluated further. Hoping you are not having any fever now.
Were you evaluated for diabetes and hypertension?
As for treatment at present take plenty of fluids, fruits and some antioxidants containing multi vitamins.
Please do get back to me for further clarification.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist