What causes trouble swallowing food?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 27 Sep 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm having trouble swallowing. food gets stuck in my throat sometimes. I have to chew very thoroughly and then it still gets stuck sometimes. it happens shortly after I swallow and it gets stuck a couple inches after it enters my throat. liquids don't cause any concern. I've had this problem most of my life but now it seems to be getting worse.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Get an upper EGD done!

Detailed Answer:

Hi and thanks for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully. This is suggestive of some form of an obstruction in the esophagus. This might be caused by rings or often stenosis from longstanding acid regurgitation.

The best approach is to look inside with a light source through an exam called upper endoscopy. This way, we can clearly look inside the throat and see what is happening.

This exam is best done by gastroenterologists. During this exam, therapeutic measures such as dilation or ablation of rings could be done if judged beneficial.

Keep me updated with the results of this exam.

In the meantime, continue to chew thoroughly and avoid big lumps as this could lead to food impaction in the esophagus which requires emergency measures to address.

Waiting on your updates.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana